As an architect or Engineer, both you and your clients may be entitled to substantial federal tax incentives. At Engineered Tax Services (ETS), we partner with Architects and Engineers nationally to provide independent, third-party certification as required by the IRS to help them take advantage of these significant tax benefits.
Research Tax Credit
Many design companies are missing out on valuable tax credits they deserve! One such credit is the Research & Development Tax Credit (R&D) offered by the IRS as an incentive for companies that perform R&D activities. The credit is designed to reimburse companies who develop new products or inventions and offers a significant percentage back to the company for Qualified Research Activities and Qualified Research Expenses. You do not need to be a large company to qualify for the credit. ETS has helped companies of all sizes across the U.S. to identify these expenditures and receive the tax benefits they have been missing.
Architects, engineers, and construction firms generally face numerous technical uncertainties at the outset of the design phase.
R&D Tax Benefit
R&D Tax Incentive for Architects provides for a firm to advance in the services they offer clients while benefiting from Government Tax Incentives.
Common technical uncertainties often incorporated into architectural and engineering R&D studies include:
- Structural Details (Structural Engineering)
- Mechanical Systems (Mechanical Engineering)
- Energy Efficiency (Energy Engineering)
- Electrical Engineering for specialized facilities such as Hotels, Casinos, Hospitals and
- Manufacturing Plants (with or without Pilot Plants)
- Site Orientation and Optimal Materials including Biological Testing of Soils or Other Aspects of Material Science
Potentially Qualifying Activities:
- Developing unique energy-efficient features
- Developing unique waste water technologies
- Developing unique flashing details
- Developing new building elevations
- Developing site plan to overcome site features
- Designing innovative sanitary sewer systems
- Designing unique lateral force resistance systems
- Developing plans to meet unique/specific load requirements
- Determining alternative materials to improve design or meet specific requirements
- Improving acoustical qualities of a structure
- Developing unique heating, cooling, or ventilation systems
179D EPAct for Architects & Engineers
Architects are experiencing positive effects on their businesses as a result of the EPAct Tax Deduction. Although EPAct expired December 31, 2013, designers have a three year look back window where they can still benefit in the following ways:
- Increase cash flow through direct allocation of the federal tax benefit (up to $1.80 per square foot) for the design of energy efficient systems in new or existing public buildings owned by a federal, state, or local government.
- Increased satisfaction and loyalty from commercial building owner clients who are eligible for the same deduction on properties placed in service (new construction or renovation) after December 31, 2005 but before January 1, 2014.
- If we see an extension of EPAct, architects with the knowledge of these tax benefits will be able to bid public building projects much more competitively.
Construction Tax Planning
We offer proactive evaluation of construction and renovation projects in order to capture the most out of current IRS rules regarding personal and real property, and energy tax incentives. Please visit our Construction Tax Planning page for more detailed information
Our experienced team of engineers can help you assess past, current, and future projects for tax benefits and guide you and your clients through the certification process. Our experience includes certification on hundreds of public schools securing major tax deductions for architects for the future. ETS works in collaboration with your CPA firm to ensure the process of obtaining your tax benefits follows legislation guidelines. We are approved for the Energy Efficiency Certification Process so you can start taking advantage of valuable tax savings and increase cash flow for your business immediately.
If you have activities that fall within any of these categories, please contact us today at 561-253-6640 or email