As a CPA firm, you understand the tremendous tax savings that research and development (R&D) tax credits offer to your clients and your firm. While the activities your client undertakes on a regular basis may qualify, it is understandable that not every firm has the resources needed to document which activities qualify, nor the time to apply for the credits. At the same time, by expanding your niche services, you can increase your client reach while uncovering valuable tax savings opportunities.
What to Look for in an R&D Tax Credit Partner
When you make the decision to partner with an R&D tax credit expert, you’ll want to conduct some due diligence to ensure you find a partner that can seamlessly blend with your team. First, you want to find a qualified partner that has a team of engineers, CPAs and tax attorneys to conduct engineering-based, thorough R&D tax studies. You’ll also want the type of relationship that allows you to be in control of your client relationships. Here are six additional considerations:
- Industry Experience: Make sure the R&D firm has comprehensive experience and deep industry expertise in manufacturing, technology, software and working with architects, and a number of other industries rich with R&D activities.
- National Footprint: Even if your business is regional, your clients may conduct R&D activities throughout the country. You’ll want an R&D partner that has the capability to easily make multiple site visits during the R&D tax study to determine tax credit eligibility that satisfies IRS requirements.
- Audit Success Record: Audits happen. You’ll want to work with a team that has a high audit success rate and can provide all requested documentation that backs up your clients’ eligibility. When you have a diligent R&D tax partner that can submit a detailed study report in the first place, you’ll mitigate audit exposure. Be sure to ask about the firm’s procedures for representation should a tax audit happen.
- Fair Pricing: Be sure all costs are detailed from the start. The last thing you want is to be surprised by additional reports. For example, Engineered Tax Services applies competitive pricing models to fit our clients’ preferred structure.
- Recommendations: A strong R&D tax partner should have a proven track record of working with CPA firms. Ask for recommendations from other firms.
- Committed to Your Firm: Your R&D tax partner should understand your firm’s areas of expertise, industry niches, your core values and be committed to helping you achieve growth.
Watch Our Video Below for Additional Strategies for Choosing a Specialty Tax Partner
CPA Partnership Strategy
Engineered Tax Services focuses on strategies to help CPA firms generate revenue, new prospects and niche business development opportunities. Our partnership service offerings can help your firm:
- Obtain new clients
- Solidify existing relationships
- Enhance your reputation
- Improve your firm’s positioning in the marketplace
- Diversify your CPA firm with little or no capital investment
The engineering and tax professionals on the cost segregation team at Engineered Tax Services have helped accountants and their clients achieve maximum R&D tax credits by conducting thorough R&D tax studies and working as an extension of their teams.
To learn more about how Engineered Tax Services works with CPA firms to provide R&D tax credit studies, please call Engineered Tax Services at (800) 236-6519 or visit our R&D Tax Credit Services page.