ENERGY AUDIT & RATE REDUCTIONS
IRS, State & Local Governments, and Utility Firms Nationwide
ETS conducts over 200 engineering tax studies per month for our Real Estate clients yielding approximately $354 million a month in tax refunds, tax credits and accelerated tax deductions. Our comprehensive tax reports for property owners include the following certifications:
EPACT 179D ENERGY TAX SERVICES
When a new building is constructed or an existing building has been renovated since January 1, 2006, the building owner may be eligible for a Federal Tax Deduction of up to a $1.80 per square foot. Most new construction and renovations comply with the requirements. The benefits are for the certification of new energy efficient lighting, HVAC and systems put into the Building Envelope such as new insulation, roof, roof coating, and windows. The IRS requires an independent energy study by a licensed engineering firm. These studies greatly improve the payback period for these type of investments and the IRS allows us to go back to any projects done in previous years to quantify these tax benefits for our investors bring them through the current tax return.
IMPORTANCE OF ENERGY EFFICIENCY
ETS has also been focusing on energy tax consulting services with our CPA partners to their real estate families with great success. As you may already know, energy tops the agenda for governments and businesses in the United States. Driving these concerns for them are the fluctuating demand, constrained supply, volatile commodity prices, and changing regulatory environments and the complex tax structure of today’s energy industry. Our CPA Energy Solutions provides comprehensive services to help your clients/companies navigate through this environment to achieve sustainable, profitable growth.
DIFFICULTY REACHING SUSTAINABILITY GOALS
A majority of those that responded indicated difficulty reaching those goals. The two most common reasons they miss those targets are lack of personnel and capital. That is where a specialty engineering firm like Engineered Tax Services partnering with your firm comes in. Our holistic approach to both procurement and conservation strategies are driven by specialists with proven performance across industry sectors, allowing our clients to benefit from best known practices and strategies without distracting their accounting team from operations.
CUSTOMIZED ENERGY MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS…
On average, when ETS performs a Cost Performance Review for your clients, they will realize 3-10% savings on their spending. ETS realizes this for them because our team understands the nuances from market to market, regulated or de-regulated, state & federal grants, rebates and exemptions that all help them preserve capital and reduce expenses. On the ‘demand side' ETS has consulted on over 110 million square feet of building space across North America. From lighting to mechanical to evaluation of the potential for renewable energy such as solar, wind, etc., ETS is an independent, third party evaluation and implementation firm whose focus is on the client’s energy savings. Our initial focus is assisting them in navigating the increasingly complex energy and tax world by delivering customized energy management solutions on both the Supply (Energy Procurement) and Demand (Energy Conservation / Efficiency) side of the meter.
UTILITY RATE NEGOTIATION
ETS works to drive the energy cost per unit as low as possible by using:
- Analytical review of compiling cost and consumption
- Review of current tariffs
- Detailed review of existing purchase contracts, historical billing statements
- Generate refunds
UTILITY TAX REDUCTIONS AND/OR EXEMPTIONS
To help capture substantial immediate savings and retroactive cash refunds
Most states and local jurisdictions assess sales or other excises taxes on the purchase of utilities including, but not limited to, electricity, natural gas, water and wastewater. Depending on the taxing jurisdiction(s), use of the utility in the customer's locations, type of operation, multiple locations, etc. It is not widely known or published that said taxes and other fees may be able to be reduced or eliminated completely in addition to substantial retroactive cash refunds. These jurisdictions require detailed onsite engineering use or predominant use studies by a qualified independent 3rd party to determine the exact percentages of energy and utility use in various areas and specific operations.
UTILITY MANAGEMENT & REPORTING ENERGY BILL MANAGEMENT
Many states and local taxing authorities offer some sort of incentive or opportunity to reduce taxes related to utility charges. ETS has more than a decade of tax experience in all 50 states. ETS will ensure that you receive the refunds and/or credits you earned.
- Summary and comparison of key consumption data
- Track and report GHG emissions
- Pinpoint and target inefficiencies via benchmarking
- Prepare budgets and forecasts
- Calculate cost avoidance attributable to energy conservation practices
ETS believes sustainability is effectively managing our client’s energy risks and help them define, integrate and meet their sustainability objectives through the following services:
- Public disclosure reporting
- Supply chain reporting
- Carbon management strategy
- Demand response
- Energy management systems strategy development (iso 50001)
AUDIT & BENCHMARKING
Many states mandate energy benchmarking for all facilities with certain thresholds being met to avoid higher taxation and penalties (see attached PDF). ETS provides the necessary studies to meet the state requirements and help put into place measurement systems to help them navigate lower energy consumption timely to meet the escalating benchmarks each year. ETS does this by:
- ETS will gather data for all their energy-consuming equipment, track hours of operation and capture consumption data. This process enables you to . . .
- Identify problem areas that could be costing them money;
- Identify energy conservation measures that will help you become more efficient
- Identify best practices that could benefit their company
OTHER ENERGY ENGINEERING SERVICES
- 1603 Grant Writing – Alternative Energy Cash Grants
- Local Utility Rebate Certifications
- 45L Energy Tax Credits for Multifamily Dwellings
- Renewable Electricity Production Tax Credit (PTC)
- Federal Tribal Energy Program Grant
- U.S. Department of Treasury – Renewable Energy Grants
- USDA – High Energy Cost Grant Program
- USDA – Rural Energy for American Program (REAP) Grants
- Federal Loan Program Clean Renewable Energy Bonds (CREBs)
- Qualified Energy Conservation Bonds (QECBs)